False allegations being used against me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

OptionalSettings

17 February 2018
My ex made serious false allegations against me over a year ago. The matter was investigated by the police and DoCJ and were found to be unsubstantiated (because they were pure fantasy, outright lies), there were no charges and the case was dropped.

My ex continues to use this against me making threats that she will tell people about the incident whenever we have some kind of altercation. She recently bought it up at an appointment we had to attend for our child as a way to manipulate the situation and paint me in a negative light. I am worried she will continue using this as a threat and also could ruin my reputation by sharing the details with members of the community such as teachers, doctors, employers etc..

Is there any legal mechanism I can use that would restrict her from being allowed to talk about the incident to anyone?

Also I have no paperwork or documents regarding the investigation, do I have a legal right to be be provided with the findings of the investigation so I can share those with anyone my ex might tell?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hard work my friend. But my advice. Smile and nod. Just ignore it. Everyone has a brother or friend, or cousin who has been smashed around by a vindictive ex. ME TOO.

In my experience, the more a made of the problem the worse it got.... Meanwhile, every once in a while, I'd bump into someone who was mates with the ex BUT I'd be amazed when they expressed sympathy. Hell, my ex's sister even apologised to me for the ex's antics....

I have in my parenting orders that neither parent is allowed to say crap about the other parent. So I have emails where she abuses the crap out of me. But, it isn't worth the effort / money / stress to apply to court for these breaches. WHY? well just throwing petrol on a fire...

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can write a cease and desist letter, however I agree with Sammy. If there is a serious threat to your job/reputation where other people believe your ex, then it may be time to take action.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Rod - re-read my post. I'm not suggesting taking action. I'm suggesting he harnesses the inner calm of shrugging his shoulders and not wasting time or money on BS.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No need for re-read, and I still agree with your post.

OptionalSettings

17 February 2018
Thanks guys. Right now it hasn't been serious, just a lot of noise and threats. Will bear in mind the cease and desist if things escalate.

sammy01

27 September 2015
yeah, look. I'm not even a fan of a cease and desist. See, what happens if you write that and she continues to pull BS.

I recokn you need nutter support, not legal support. Quick story, to prove my point. Back in the day, the ex would text all the bloody time. I started to get a nervous reaction everytime my phone pinged. Emails, mates telling me she was telling their girlfriends crap about me. I was a mess.
Solution? Disengage from it all. Both in the realworld and in your head. So, for example, I bought a new phone. I told everyone the number except HER... I kept HER phone in the boot of my car and only checked it occasionally.So I put strategies in place so her BS didn't effect me.
Slowly, when she wasn't getting and response from me, she started becoming a little bit more human. Remember, no court order can direct a twit to stop being a twit.

Reactions: OptionalSettings