False Accusations - Can I Use a Phone Recording as Evidence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
My understanding (I'm not a lawyer), is that you can record your own conversations.
This is dangerous advice.
And I am not at all convinced that it is correct.

I urge you to caution in respect of recording things.
Making paper notes (a diary etc) is fine.
But when making voice or video recordings, especially if covert,
then you run the risk of committing offences yourself...

And have a read of this. It relates to family law, but the principles of evidence are applicable more generally.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/gotcha-tapes-disliked-by-court-20130203-2dsiy.html

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I have worked in the Telecoms industry and we have had many debates regarding the recording of phone calls. It seems clear it is not illegal to tape your own calls under both Interception Acts of the Commonwealth. I do not know if recording calls breaks any other Commonwealth or State law.

Tim, reading the article you mentioned take a different view on recordings and looks at admissibility in court. From what I've read and heard, the court can make it's own mind up on admitting the recordings and so far is not strictly bound by case law. Family law cases are much more difficult to manage especially when kids are used to emotionally blackmail the other party. Criminal law has a different set of rules and I am not an expert on those :)

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I have worked in the Telecoms industry and we have had many debates regarding the recording of phone calls. It seems clear it is not illegal to tape your own calls under both Interception Acts of the Commonwealth.
It can indeed be contrary to law to do so.
Subject to many if, buts, and variables, it can even be an offence.
That is why I urge our friend Patrick to caution.
I do not know if recording calls breaks any other Commonwealth or State law.
That is why I call your advice above "dangerous".
Tim, reading the article you mentioned take a different view on recordings and looks at admissibility in court.
Well, yes.
After all, admissibility in court is the thing at the heart of the original question.
From what I've read and heard, the court can make it's own mind up on admitting the recordings and so far is not strictly bound by case law. Family law cases are much more difficult to manage especially when kids are used to emotionally blackmail the other party. Criminal law has a different set of rules and I am not an expert on those :)
The Family Court has certain powers of its own relating the evidence, yes.
But you may be quite confident that the Evidence Act 1995 (Cth) is available to, and used by, the Family Court where it sees fit to do so.
In particular, the discretion in section 138 is certainly available.
And that is why I pointed you to the story in SMH.