WA Excessive Ban from Venue

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HelloMello

30 July 2023
Hey all,

Recently I was involved in an incident outside of a venue where I was punched in the face by another community member that ended with me using self-defense and subsequently ending the fight. As the incident ended I tried to enter the said venue and was refused entry and told I would be getting banned for 5 years to which I immediately left the area and did not instigate voilence or conflict with the security team. I have emailed the venue on which 2 occasions they have failed to provide me evidence for my ban, and have recounted the story to me incorrectly. No past history with venue, no criminal record, no past history with any venue of being banned.

My question is; on what grounds can a venue ban someone not on their property, a person not forcefully removed from their venue? What avenues do I have if I was defending myself from another perpetrator? And is there any avenues I can take to dispute, or change the length of this excessively/unfair ban that although up to discretion, prevents me from entering any other venue that scans ID.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
My question is; on what grounds can a venue ban someone not on their property, a person not forcefully removed from their venue?
Pretty much any reason they like.
Knowing you to be violent is certainly enough on its own.
What avenues do I have if I was defending myself from another perpetrator?
None whatsoever.
And is there any avenues I can take to dispute, or change the length of this excessively/unfair ban that although up to discretion, prevents me from entering any other venue that scans ID.
No.