Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Ex Took Children and Wants Me to Sign Passport - Recourse?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by patchwally, 22 October 2015.

  1. patchwally

    patchwally Member

    22 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    I am a father of twin girls. I pay child support but my ex took off with them and I have not seen them in over 2 years. I have tried and tried again to see them or contact them with no luck.

    I have now received a application letter for myself to sign for my girls to get a Australian passport to leave the country. Please how do I stop this? She won't let me see my kids, yet she wants to take them out of the country.

    I am not ok with them leaving the country. I don't even know where she's planning on going or who my children will be with.
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    It's your choice whether you want to sign the application or not. If you don't there is a chance that she can apply to the court to get an order dispensing with the need for your signature, but that's only in certain circumstances.

    Check this out: Passports - Children and parental consent
  3. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Don't sign them. Write back and invite her to initiate mediation for the purposes of organising parenting arrangements because I'm guessing that is something you want.... Let her know that you'll be prepared to discuss the passports at mediation..

    If you wanna be involved with your kids use this as an opportunity to re-connect with them and then do what ever you can to continue to be involved in their lives.

Share This Page