WA Ex-Step Child Defaming Me on Facebook - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kbaby

6 April 2017
Am I able to place an MRO on an ex-step child? Are we considered to still be in a family relationship ? Or an ex relative? Given that I had separated from my husband & he has now also passed away.

If the answers is no and I couldn't place the MRO, can I get around it somehow given that even though said person was technically my step child that I never had a relationship with them whilst married to the father?

If the answer is still no, then what do you suggest I do about said person publicly defaming me, spreading lies & hatred in Facebook as far as & as wide as they can, which has now been going on for 7 years from the moment they found out of my existence.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I would say you are still a step mother. Firstly you said your husband passed away while you were separated which says to me you were still married. Secondly does a child ever become an ex relative. I would say you still have a family relationship, even though you were estranged from your husband. So based on that I don't believe you can apply for an MVO.

That aside I'm not convinced their actions would qualify you for an MVO You can contact facebook to have messages that you find offensive taken down and raise a formal complaint about the individual. You might be best placed to speak with a Lawyer about defamation and see if they can draft a cease and desist letter on your behalf.

Karen mcguane

14 February 2018
Does anybody have some kind of insert because I'm now on a charge now what is defamation and what is Slander? It could help me with my case these women from Contact Child Service has made up all these rumore about me absolutely shocking and to make it worse nobody will talk to me because apparently I am. It part of the party with my daughter but these women gave my daughters ICL lawyer this shocking letter and the ICL lawyer filed it in court to be used and shown to the single expert witness so everyone can say whatever they like about me and then not talk to me and not tell me the ICL has been to court and filed for the magistrate to read I am 63 years old and just want peace in my life I don't understand why I am the only one able who can't see my grandson and it's been over 12 months and the dad knows my daughter and grandson lived with us for since his birth. And I refuse to lie about anyone or to anyone I can't say okay if people are allowed to do this then there's something terribly wrong with our legal and justice system. But I refuse to be dragged out of there offices screaming my head off. The father knew between all this happening I'm terrified to know whatc he's been going through he's 5 in March this will all have to be stopped otherwise? Seriously I just don't know what to do please help me somewhere it always say "the best interest of the child NO it is not in his best interest this father was only a sporadic father till my ex husband of 34 years of marriage offered him money now if it's not bad enough he won't let my mother see him who is 84 plus I find that detrimental to my grandson bless him xxx