VIC Threatened with Defamation - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jane Louise

13 January 2017
I am being threatened with defamation via a "legal" letter. It is a really long winded situation but basically, I am in a group on Facebook and someone was selling products by posting on all threads.Admin booted this person and someone was asking about them so I replied.

I said they had been booted for being a spammer and that they should only ever use reputable companies. I removed the comment soon as the person inboxed me carrying on.I then posted a copy of the post admin had posted and then got more inboxes.

Long story, they found out where I work via a post I had left public and rang my work causing trouble and now sent a letter demanding an apology and saying I called then a scammer.

This is so crazy and long winded but I was wondering if they are able to go further with this or not.

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Without seeing all the detail it is hard to know how to best respond.

Under no circumstances should you admit liability for anything. If you have defamed them, an apology is probably best. If you haven't defamed the person, do nothing and wait for legal action to arrive. If they continue to call or harass you at work you may need to consider commencing your own legal action to protect your job.

If you are unsure about what to do then it might be best to see a lawyer with all the documentation and get proper advice.

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
I am being threatened with defamation via a "legal" letter. It is a really long winded situation but basically, I am in a group on Facebook and someone was selling products by posting on all threads.Admin booted this person and someone was asking about them so I replied.

I said they had been booted for being a spammer and that they should only ever use reputable companies. I removed the comment soon as the person inboxed me carrying on.I then posted a copy of the post admin had posted and then got more inboxes.

Long story, they found out where I work via a post I had left public and rang my work causing trouble and now sent a letter demanding an apology and saying I called then a scammer.

This is so crazy and long winded but I was wondering if they are able to go further with this or not.

Thanks

Hi Jane,

Rod is correct. You should not make any admissions regarding the comments. It is very likely that this matter can be resolved quickly with a simple apology. If they continue to contact your work or send any legal documentation, please do not hesitate to contact me via the link: Matthew Karakoulakis, Lawyer, AMK Law - Melbourne, VIC - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly to arrange an appointment to review all of the facts and discuss the matter further.