SA Ex Requesting Me to Sign One Page of Full Document?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RickAndMorty

13 July 2017
Ok, so I'm, going through a property settlement dispute with my ex, and custody of children with my son, and she wants to change both her name, and my son's name to include both our last names (her mother's last name) "This is what she is telling me"

However, there are 4 instances of her being extremely difficult in the last month which would lead me to believe she is trying to screw me over, because I just don't trust her.

She sent me some photos which seems sus, given she hasn't sent me anything in 2 weeks. She said she wanted me to sign and return several pages, but has only given me Part 11, declaration of parents named on the child's birth certificate.

Should I refuse to sign the document without having the entire document with me, and individually signing every form she gives me, and photocopy every page for evidence? Or is there another way to go about this. Secondly, what are the legal ramifications of her not following the intentions of my authorization for name change.

Sorry if I didn't find the right home for this thread.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Never ever sign anything that you have not read or sighted in full. Bad idea, do not do it. Don't even think about doing it.

Nooooooooo

Reactions: RickAndMorty

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Don't sign anything that is just a part of something.
See the whole document, think about it, and get advice on it,
and then either do, or don't, sign it.
This is true of anything, not just this stuff.

And yes, keep copies of everything.
If you want to really belt-and-braces about it,
have your "keeper" copies certified (by, say, a JP).
This is to forestall later disputes about authenticity/ tampering.

As to changing the children's surnames - absent a court order saying otherwise,
you are not required to consent to this.
Normally, a change of name for a child requires the consent of both parents.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Also bear in mind (from memory, so I could be incorrect) minors are only allowed to have one name change until they reach 18.

RickAndMorty

13 July 2017
Thankyou, just what I was thinking. Now that I'm seeing her for what she is, everything is cautious.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Posting in the family law thread about this or any other matter will get u a better result

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
In the context of South Australia, you may find this helpful.