QLD Ex Husband Refuses to Move His Things

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lifeless

20 May 2017
Eighteen years ago I married a man who deserted me after we signed the registry.Although mature age he went home to live with his parents at his house they lived in.
I lost my income and confidence and have almost gone around the twist.No-one will help.
Friends backed me to get my own property.
Five years later his sister saw me in a shopping centre rang him and he followed me two hours to the turn off of town I live in.
He started calling the PO police and others and found out which place I lived in.
One day he turned up and since I wasn't home he began mowing.
I came home and found him.
He eventually started calling in and staying overnight in my spare room.This went on for years.Even this we were not in anyway together
He began putting stuff he bought prior to retirement in my shed and I can't take any more so I have said ,(as I have for for YEARS) get out if my life.Get your stuff out if my shed (too heavy /big for me to move).Get your trailer off my property.But he won't. Because he doesn't want me disappearing
I can no longer work. I am a wreck.
I feel like exploding.
No one will help.
I cant afford lawyers.
What do I have to do?
In 2009 he told me to DIE.
Everyone thinks he is good kind and charming.
He once lied about me on oath when I tried to take an order out against him years ago.
He told me years ago "Go near (house number) and you're in big trouble! So for years I never shop or go near his street suburb and its not fair.
He stopped me from earning some money now my house us becoming derelict.
I can't take any more. I want him gone. I want his ride on etc out if my shed and off my property.he has led me in with false promises and false hope for 18 years Now I wouldn't be with him for anything.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi lifeless,
I'm not a solicitor.

I think it's called "bailment".

Abandoned goods - Legal Aid Queensland

I think the act is here:
DISPOSAL OF UNCOLLECTED GOODS ACT 1967

It sounds tedious, I think, maybe, you can apply to the court for an order to sell the goods, after jumping thru a lot of hoops (have to inform the owner of the goods, etc, etc)

But, because you used to be married, I might not be correct.

There seems to be a lot of other BS drama going on....you probably need to go to a community legal center and get advice about how to get this person out of your life....

Dumping his stuff at your place means you have to untangle yourself from him....

Go get help at a community legal center. I don't think you can do this alone....

I hope this helps
Regards
Gorodetsky

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I respectfully suggest that a counsellor may be of better help to you in the first instance. Suspect you have some issues you need to address before you can get on top of things like property.

Reactions: Gorodetsky

Lifeless

20 May 2017
Hi lifeless,
I'm not a solicitor.

I think it's called "bailment".

Abandoned goods - Legal Aid Queensland

I think the act is here:
DISPOSAL OF UNCOLLECTED GOODS ACT 1967

It sounds tedious, I think, maybe, you can apply to the court for an order to sell the goods, after jumping thru a lot of hoops (have to inform the owner of the goods, etc, etc)

But, because you used to be married, I might not be correct.

There seems to be a lot of other BS drama going on....you probably need to go to a community legal center and get advice about how to get this person out of your life....

Dumping his stuff at your place means you have to untangle yourself from him....

Go get help at a community legal center. I don't think you can do this alone....

I hope this helps
Regards
Gorodetsky

Hi Gorodetsky,

Thankyou for reply.
The avenues you mention will not help.
Appreciated

Lifeless

20 May 2017
I respectfully suggest that a counsellor may be of better help to you in the first instance. Suspect you have some issues you need to address before you can get on top of things like property.

Rod,
I can counsel counsellors (their words not mine, in a distant place and time).
I am almost insulted that you state 'I' am the one with 'issues'.
I am a highly capable person as is known.
I simply wished to be fair and not drag this lowlife into the arena, since fighting fire with fire is never fair and equitable no matter how reasonable.
Since reading your response, however, that might just be the answer.
One can never make an accurate assessment without being fully informed.

Thankyou.

Lifeless

20 May 2017
BTW. The bottom line with all forms of counselling is "to bring the person to [the point of] acceptance."
The counselling process is designed to lead the person/s undergoing counselling through a variety of stages, to that point.
In some cases, counselling is not the path to take, viz, for those who know and understand, and already are accepting of their acceptance (of whatever the cause of a given conflict,dilemma, et al., is...).
One cannot continue to 'accept' the unacceptable and simultaneously condone it through inaction and thereby allow certain abuses/breaches (of legal and moral codes that bind and preserve society)/ tansgressions to continue, else one becomes a part of that abuse...like Paul holding Stephen's cloak [ while Stephen us being stoned]- and thus, guilty by association regardless of who or where a person is.
Who was it who said "When 'good' men do nothing..."?

Regards.

Lifeless

20 May 2017
I forgot to mention that I had spoken to police and that, according to police a person in such a situation as myself is permitted to remove, give away, sell or dispose of goods left on one's property, if the owner of said goods refuses to remove [or have removed] the goods.
The suggestion is to allow a reasonable amount of time for removal after contacting (or attempting to) the person in question.
I had hoped to gain clarification in law, by raising the matter here.
I have contacted the person on innummerable occasions requesting that he remove his goods from my property. I have given him extended lengths and periods of times to do so-to no avail.
I have been more than fair.
I wanted to resolve things decently.
'To be fair, to care,to be humble'. (Lao Tsu).
This person has been (going back some years, I have recently found out) telling strangers that
1. I am his partner, and
2. That my house is his rental property.
One needs to respect the many personsl as well as legal abuses and breaches that every act of deception and obstruction to life, causes.
Respectful resolution is a primary step towards crime prevention.
Attitudes and behavioural problems that underly all abuses cannot be changed overnight.
Inaction and denial of access to legal channels/firmly established resolutions,fosters deviance which in turn clogs up the system and inevitably destroys individuals, households and families (ie people). The effects are seen on every level, eg homelessness,domestic violence, other abuses of the person,crime, moral weakness, unemployment,low or no self-confidence, public nuisance behaviours, and even what a person eats...all of which carries over to health (physical, mental etc)
So we all need to realise the great and significant work of the legal system in advancing and maintaining fairness unto resolution whether that is in reforming the Sentencing Act or handing down judgment or in resolving familial or private or community concerns.
We each have a role to play in our contributions:
'You in your small corner, and I in mine...'
So we don't have anarchy and take the law into our own hands.
This means we all need to know what the law is pertaining to our legal rights and that awareness provides opportunity and paths to resolution.
Thanks.

Lifeless

20 May 2017
Hello.
This is just to thank you both for your help. As a result of both of your contributions, I was able to see and reflect more objectively...
This in turn enabled me to 'regroup' and regain some positive strength which enabled more positive communication towards a better resolve.
Again, thank you.