VIC Estimating income to CSA and tax returns being taken?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Troyp1969

24 July 2018
Hello,.
So back in December 2016 I was made redundant and started a new job straight away. My income went from $77k in 2015-2016 up to $91k in 2016-2017 and up to $100k in 2017-2018 but I didnt do a tax return for the last 2 years.
My eldest son turns 18 tomorrow so I only have 1 son left who is 15 so my CS will drop at the end of the month.
I thought that I better do my 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 tax returns and know that CSA are going to say I owe the ex CS for under estimating my income.
What I want to know is will they garnish my tax return to cover the debt or will they just increase my payments by X amount until its paid back?

Thanks in advance

sammy01

27 September 2015
call them, ask them 131 272 - be polite they have a crap job, be nice to them and they will give you an accurate answer.

Troyp1969

24 July 2018
call them, ask them 131 272 - be polite they have a crap job, be nice to them and they will give you an accurate answer.
I didn’t think they would tell me without me saying who I was and then they know my details etc.

Lennon

11 September 2014
My understanding is that they will garnish your tax return.

One year when I filed my tax return for the year (ie not even a late return), the return triggered a reassessment of my child support which was backdated a few months. They took what they said was owed from my tax return before even issuing a Notice of Assessment.

Troyp1969

24 July 2018
Which is why I think what’s the point in doing one if its all going to go to the ex. I wouldn’t mind if it actually went to the kids.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Which is why I think what’s the point in doing one if its all going to go to the ex. I wouldn’t mind if it actually went to the kids.
Then ask them if a third party payment arrangement will work in your scenario.
And yes, if you want a reliable answer about your specific case, of course you will have to disclose who you are.

But let's be clear - you are well past the point of DIY here.
This is not a scenario that you fix with a couple of phone calls
and an hour online.
Take yourself to an accountant who is also a tax agent (they almost all are),
and get yourself sorted out.
And when I say "accountant" I mean a proper accountant,
and expressly not one of those $99-tax-return guys who
pop-up in shopping centres at this time of year.

You want this thing fixed, you need pro-help.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016

Because the law says we have to do a tax return.

Are the kids living on the street with donated clothing and food? If not, it sounds like the money is being spent on them.