VIC Is Child Support Agency receptive to evidence of undeclared income?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Corinne

31 October 2015
Hi,

My partner has parenting orders with regard to his son from a previous relationship. He consistently pays the required amount of child support and has done so since the moment he moved out.

She claims the maximum amount of government benefits, but also makes a substantial amount of cash income by breeding pure-bred dogs. I'm talking about litters of on average 8 puppies, sold for at least $2000 each. From Christmas until now, there's been about 3 litters. I believe each litter is from a different b***h, therefore it's not an animal welfare concern of one female being overbred, otherwise I would have contacted the RSPCA by now.

Last financial year it was evident that she hadn't been declaring this income in her tax return.

My question is, if this year's tax return reflects the same false declaration of income, is this something we can raise with the Child Support Agency when they make income assessments of both parents? Or is it more an issue of tax evasion through the ATO?

The dogs are posted for sale all over the internet including a Facebook page and website. I was sure I have read somewhere that the CSA can be receptive to 'business' websites that contain evidence of undeclared income.

The reason for asking is that information and legal advice sought will form part of an application to have current orders varied as they were made when she was living 400kms away.

Any info would be a great help.

Cheers.

sammy01

27 September 2015
how far does she live now? how do you want the old orders varied?
Don't confuse child support with consent orders - different fights

I'm in a different boat but equally stupid... I am the primary carer of 3 kids. I earn $90 000 as a teacher. My ex has 17% care of the kids. She runs a cash in hand business - has a website and a car with a paint job that advertises her business. She claims zero income to child support and as a result she pays zero child support... So I'd done some math using the CSA estimator - Until my ex earns $35 000 she doesn't have to pay a cent. Once she earns over $35 000 she would have to pay me about $5 a fortnight. So Lets pretend I go to the effort of lodging a dispute with CSA and they agree she obviously earns more than $0 pa... And even if they decide she earns $36 000. I would be better of by $5 a fortnight.... Worth the effort? nope not even close.

But more importantly - causing a fight with her over the dog business wont help in trying to get some agreement about time with child... Pick your battles, get more time with the child through the family law courts OR via mediation THEN think about the child support agency

Corinne

31 October 2015
Thanks sammy01. I often hold your experiences and subsequent advice with high regard and this is definitely another one of those moments.

I work for a law enforcement agency so I'm generally on the lookout for people being dodgy and bringing it to the surface regardless of the financial benefits to myself or my partner. But it's probably a drop in the ocean compared to other things I could be focusing on.

Thanks again.