NSW Employment Terminated Immediately - Entitled to One Week's Pay?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Murrayh4

31 December 2014
I was on a 3 month probation and at the end was called into the office and terminated on the spot, no notice (unfair dismissal).
Am I entitled to a weeks pay (wages) in lieu of notice? This the security industry. They rang me on a day off and I was told you have to come in it's important.

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
It depends whether you are casual or not. Casuals can generally be terminated without notice (ie no further shifts offered). Permanent or temporary employees are entitled to one weeks notice if they have worked 12 months or less.

It also depends on the reason for termination. If it's for serious or gross misconduct then they don't have to give you any notice.

Murrayh4

31 December 2014
I was on a 3 month probation and at the end was called into the office and terminated on the spot, no notice.
Am I entitled to a weeks pay in lieu of notice. This the security industry. They rang me on a day off and I was told you have to come in it's important.
I was full time permanent, was there for 3 months, does it make a difference due to being on probation?