ACT Employment Terminated After Employer Accessed My Facebook - Employee Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ian Macleod

30 January 2015
Reactions: John R

Ian Macleod

30 January 2015
Interesting case @Ian Macleod!
The decision is also available on the Federal Work Commission's website as Cameron Little v Credit Corp Group Limited t/as Credit Corp Group [2013] FWC 9642.

Another interesting case is that of Linfox Australia Pty Ltd v Glen Stutsel [2012] FWAFB 7097
https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/decisionssigned/html/2012fwafb7097.htm

So the case law in this area is building - the key message I'm getting is, if you are an employer, make sure you have appropriate workplace policies including a social media policy in place. And for employees - remember that the internet is like walking around in wet cement, whatever you post today to SM is likely to be seen tomorrow by your present employer or a future employer.

Reactions: terry walters

terry walters

27 January 2015
Thank you guys it seems as soon as the Email hit my boss's desk I was sacked the fact that the person who sent the Email did all the wrong thing's ie failed to inform the Defence department of the fact that it had been found and to take relevant action against the company I find amusing to say the least also the fact that I was not allowed to collect my equipment from a public area and have been banned from entering public areas in Defence by the company is just mind boggling to say the least I was informed that if I entered the bld I would be arrested and removed as for fair work they will not help the union useless so I am going to write to the minister for Defence the shadow minister and may be Jacky Lam and blow this whole thing open I may even write an Email to the papers and see what kind of reaction can be gained I am sure that the Australian tax payer will not be amused by what is happening with their money

Reactions: Timothy Longmire