Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Employment Law - What to Do About My Full-time Position and Restructuring?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by swarmski, 9 December 2015.

1. swarmski

swarmski Member

Hi there,

We are going through a restructure currently and a situation has arisen that affects me. I will outline my background

• I am full time employed in another section
    • For 5 years, I have been acting on Higher Duties in another position. This position is a yearly renewable contract
    • Should the Higher Duties contract end, I will return to my Full-time position

The work I do will always be there. The restructure has failed to identify the need of a full-time position for this role. I have been acting in the role for 5 years and was acting on good faith and reassurances that my role would be converted to full-time when the restructure came. My role doesn't disappear, it just remains on a contracted basis.

The restructure has come and my situation isn't sorted. Since being employed in this Higher Duties Position, I have had 2 kids and have just started building a house. Now my employer has told me that if I am to continue working in the Higher Duties (yearly contract extensions), I must give up my full-time role and remain on a contract.

So I am left with a choice of returning to my Full-time Position ($17000 a year pay drop), or give up the security of a full-time job and rely on yearly contract extensions.

My contract position has been approved for the next 3 years, but funding is based on yearly models so I cannot get more than 1-year extensions

My HR department and my CIO do not seem to communicate very well with me during this restructure and seem to be ignoring my emails.

I have been represented by my Union who thinks I am being treated poorly based on our enterprise agreement, however, they are at a stalemate with the HR Department and their own interpretations of the agreement.

What should I do under Employment Law? Surely there must be some allegiance and responsibility to people who have been acting in a position for 5 years? I have had to make financial decisions based on the length of time employed on Higher Duties.

2. Therese

Therese Well-Known Member

Hi Swarmski,

It sounds like you may have a case against your employer.

Although it sounds like the company is doing something a little bit sneaky by giving you the choice of either position - shouldn't your full-time role have been made redundant when you were working in the contracted position?

If you were under the impression your contracted role would become full-time position at the time of the restructure - then you were misled.

A case may arise if your employer is breaching terms of the enterprise agreement or there may even be an argument for unfair dismissal.

I would suggest getting in contact with an employment lawyer or even the fair work ombudsman. See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...