QLD Company restructure - reapplying for new position

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CarlyF

30 April 2017
My husband was verbally told 2 weeks ago that the company he works for is restructuring and that he would have to reapply for his job. The company is a small company, only 3 employees, managed and operated by a board of directors. The board of Directors is made up of half employees/managers from the sugar mill, the other half are cane growers/representatives. Some of the board members have recently been replaced due to a member no longer employed by the company, and one grower due to illness.

The company has decided to restructure and since change the titles and roles of the 3 employees. One is admin, and does not relate to his position, the other 2 currently consist of a manager and a productivity officer. My husband is a productivity officer. The new positions are going to be Manager/Productivity officer, and Chemical sales.

Yesterday he noticed that the new positions are advertised in the paper yesterday, without his knowledge, with only 1 week until applications close. I am wanting to know is the company responsible for notifying my husband by providing him with notice of advertisement, position descriptions and application process. Should they also be providing written documentation to notify of the restructure and that his job will no longer exist. I have looked at Fair Work and I believe they have not followed the process for either redundancy or restructure.

I also want to know that if he is not successful in acquiring a new position (for whatever reason), do they have to provide him with a redundancy. He has been in his position for almost 9 years and has never been performance managed.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
is the company responsible for notifying my husband

No

Should they also be providing written documentation to notify of the restructure and that his job will no longer exist.

Yes, at some stage. They have already advised your husband verbally so they're at least started on right track.

do they have to provide him with a redundancy

I don't know what industry/award he is covered by but there is a reasonable chance he is entitled to a redundancy.