NSW Employee defence for theft

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Puritan Hippy

17 July 2019
My daughter was caught on camera stealing from the till at her work. As a result of this which she accepts responsibility for and has offered to repay, her employer is now accusing her of stealing thousands of dollars and demanding she pays with in 1-2 days once they calculate their losses from the time she started with them. My daughter has admitted to stealing about $300 but emphatically denies it was any more. From my understanding from conversations I’ve had with my daughter in the past is it has been common practice amongst employees to take sample products and give discounts to family and close friends. I get the feeling that the employer is looking to reclaim all their losses and is tying them all to my daughter as they had said to me they won’t involve the police but in messages sent to my daughter they are telling her to pay the money and threatening police action if she doesn’t.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Sounds like extortion/blackmail.

Get the threats in writing if possible.

Under no circumstances should your daughter admit to anything without talking to a lawyer first.

Puritan Hippy

17 July 2019
Sounds like extortion/blackmail.

Get the threats in writing if possible.

Under no circumstances should your daughter admit to anything without talking to a lawyer first.

Thank you for your reply.
That’s what I thought, I have gotten my daughter to screenshot the messages and all messages from before this incident of the employers questionable conduct. I have also made an appointment with a lawyer for tomorrow.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
:) Good.