VIC Previous Employer Accusing Me of Theft

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

suzi burgess

1 February 2016
My previous employer is trying to make me pay for things I did not steal, accusing me of theft, and can't ascertain ownership, even to the point where she is trying to make me pay for rising costs.

S

Sophea

If she hasn't got evidence, then she has no grounds to take legal action against you. Tell her to stick her allegations up her jumper and resign from your job. If you did nothing wrong then you should have nothing to worry about.

suzi burgess

1 February 2016
Well I don't work there as of 2 weeks ago. When it all happened and she accused me of stealing because of misplaced receipts, coles dockets which I know are my responsibility, over a 2-year period she said "I was to work 4 weeks with no pay totalling around 2 thousand dollars". She has gained re-issued receipts from coles and is now saying she can't prove ownership. I worked in a kitchen and it's all food receipts. Now apparently I owe 3 thousand dollars because she had to throw out meat.

suzi burgess

1 February 2016
She emailed me today of her apparent findings and told me i have to pay 200 dollars a week to repay. She has even rang my husband.

S

Sophea

What is the basis for saying that you were to work 4 weeks with no pay? Was that to repay her for something? If her allegations are baseless I would ignore her. Or send her a letter saying that she is off her head, her allegations are baseless and you owe her and will be paying her nothing.

suzi burgess

1 February 2016
I'm just going to ignore her. There is no basis for her accusations apart from misplaced receipts that I said were my responsibility and I had told her to get them reissued to prove I did nothing wrong and she is still saying I stole without proof. Like I said I will be ignoring her and if it keeps going I will be in touch with a lawyer.

Susan Lawson

31 January 2016
Try contacting Fair Work as well. As an employer, she is breaking a few of the usual standard employment conditions. And Fair Work is free.

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Hi Susan

Why have you ceased work? Were you terminated or did you resign/ forced to resign,?