QLD Electrician's Account Doesn't Match the Quote?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sparkie

22 March 2015
They are probably untitled to charge more should the job get more involved, but surely the onus must be on them to inform the customer prior to spending the customers money over and above the quoted cost!
Correct, But the tradies who abuse their customers don't care about your threats as there's an endless supply of suckers like me out there!

Marxi

29 November 2015
Hi Marxi, these stories are the "norm ", in your case the "law is an ass" as you'd be well advised to just pay the additional $40 and be finished with all the messy business if you choose otherwise than to follow it up.

A Lawyer once told me it's not in anyone's best interest simply to act 'as a matter of principal' it's more about a practical solution.

Thanks for the reply. However, I have emailed my 'polite' but pointed reply along with the receipt for $110 to the electrician. I guess we'll just see what the outcome is. I have said in my email if he isn't satisfied and chooses not to accept my payment as complete settlement I am more than willing to file an official complaint with Office of Fair Trading regarding his company and his actions. Totally agree that at times it's better/smarter to put 'principal' aside however I've already done my fair share of that recently and this time I'm standing my ground.