NSW Drug Test Issued by Family Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
Likely the judge will order random monthly CDT testing for a period of 12 months.

A reading greater than 2 indicates someone who drinks more than 5 standard drinks per day, or binge drinks a similar amount over 2 weeks in a regular pattern every few days.

Alternatively, they can now test for alcohol levels in hair follicle testing as a pretty standard test now too, so that could be included.

Reactions: Jake Matherson

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
I would say the likely outcome is that judge will order hair testing at your own expense every 3 months for the next 12-36 months and 12 months of CDT testing randomly called by other party once per month.

If you are both going to sling s**t at eachother accusing one another of substance abuse issues, courts are going to take the safest option and include a full regime of equally thorough testing for both parties for 12-36 months and will add a paragraph stating that should either party return a positive result for illicit substances or a CDT over 2, then childs time with that parent will be suspended and it will return to court for the judge to reassess the custody arrangement.

Also likely will add a paragraph about neither party is to exceed .05 whilst in presence of child nor consume any illicit substance 72hrs prior to having child, regardless of testing orders.

Judges don't like parents being intoxicated whilst in care of children and they don't want to leave themselves open to falling short, should a case they preside on end up with a dead or abused child due to them not covering all the bases.

They will do this by implementing a very intensive testing regime, that very likely will stay in place for a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake Matherson

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Yeah i had/have a similar experience to what was pointed out above.

If he requests you only to do a hair test you would consent to it at his cost. However judge will likely order it for the both of you at your own cost.

If you have 2 glasses of wine a week you have no problems. If you have 1-2 bottles a day or every other day then you might have a problem passing a CDT test.

You would request that after having provided 3 clean results further testing is no longer required.
CDT test need to be taken months apart to show a pattern of alcohol abuse. So 3 tests should span enough time to show that there is no issues.

my4daughters21

18 January 2020
Yeah i had/have a similar experience to what was pointed out above.

If he requests you only to do a hair test you would consent to it at his cost. However judge will likely order it for the both of you at your own cost.

If you have 2 glasses of wine a week you have no problems. If you have 1-2 bottles a day or every other day then you might have a problem passing a CDT test.

You would request that after having provided 3 clean results further testing is no longer required.
CDT test need to be taken months apart to show a pattern of alcohol abuse. So 3 tests should span enough time to show that there is no issues.
I'm a single mum not working what if i can't afford the test and once you have been to court how long before you have to supply the hair sample?

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Judges discretion if they Order you to pay for it, make the other party pay for it if they are requesting it of you or make the Australian TAX payer pay for it.

Either way whatever orders are made you follow them EXACTLY.

Judge will tell you how long you have to undertake a drug test of any kind. Urine test will be within 24hours of making an Order. Hair test up to 2 weeks after the Order is made.