NSW Drug Test Issued by Family Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

my4daughters21

18 January 2020
What drug test do they usually issue at Family Court? I have been told it could be urine or hair follicle?

I'm clean gave up weed in January, don't do anything else and it was on an occasional smoke anyway, but I don't think my ex will be and he has done weed, cocaine, MDMA and ice before.

A friend who has been through the family court said they usually do urine and I think when it comes to my ex they might have to as he's mostly got no hair from balding and shaving it off so just interested to see what others have had to do.

If I request hair follicle, will they approve that or is that up to the judge?

Last edited by a moderator:

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
I've done many of them. None were positive for anything of course, it was just my exes way of trying to create conflict. As soon as we had final orders, and they came at her own personal expense, she stopped asking for them. Funny that *eye rolls* 🙄

Hair follicle is just the norm now. They usually cover the proceeding 3-4 months and will record anything taken usually.

I say it with caviets, but generally speaking, if someone has used a substance heavily, or more than once or twice in a 3 month period leading up to the test, it will come back positive. Technically it can come back positive for anything used up to 6 months prior to the test, due to dormant hair growth. But this is usually not reportable as a positive result because it would come in at levels below the accepted cut off range.

Problem is, courts and judges are not hair follicle testing experts, so they do not fully understand it. Hair follicle testing is designed to give an overall view of substance use being a lifestyle issue. I really can't be bothered going into the full details of how and why etc... but the short version is, don't take drugs and none of it matters. Choose what matters more, your kids.

That's why it is used. It does away with the luck of randomly catching someone out on a urine drug screen, which usually only remains positive for 3-5 days, or a blood test which usually only remains positive for 24hrs.

Last edited:

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
They can take beard hair, pubic hair, head hair or arm/leg hair.

If He has shaved all of this off to avoid the test, it is basically taken to be a positive result by the court.

Most court orders involving ongoing drug testing will contain an order such as

"The father and mother shall each refrain from taking any steps to interfere with the provision of any hair samples or interfere with the test results including taking any steps such to shave, cut, shorten, bleach, clolour any scalp or body hair. He mother and father shall both be restrained from cutting their head hair shorter than 4cm in length"

Last edited:

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
Again, for anyone reading along... if you have any drug issues, get help, quit it. If you can't get past the fact that looking after your kids and having them in your life is more important than getting high, then you don't deserve them.

my4daughters21

18 January 2020
Again, for anyone reading along... if you have any drug issues, get help, quit it. If you can't get past the fact that looking after your kids and having them in your life is more important than getting high, then you don't deserve them.
Thank you for all your information I'm not worried as I said have touched any weed since January and I already have short hair though I didn't before so i wonder if they will question it i also dye my hair every 3-4 weeks I've done that since i was 20 so if they question it then i know my hairdresser will back me up because I've seen the same one for years never thought about my x arm hair and I bet he hasn't either I'm sure he would not have stopped taking drugs but never know I guess I wait and see now

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Until the Orders are made you wont have any problems.

Judge or Registrar will make Orders for you to undergo a hair test which will cost you between $300 and $700 depending on which company does it.

You will be Ordered not to cut or dye your hair until you have undertaken the test.

The testing facility will want to take about 30mm of hair from the root despite only needing approximately 10mm for testing of a 3 month window.

This is their procedure, if your Orders state specifically that the hair must come from you head and your head hair is not long enough they will refuse to do the test and you will be considered to have failed.

my4daughters21

18 January 2020
Until the Orders are made you wont have any problems.

Judge or Registrar will make Orders for you to undergo a hair test which will cost you between $300 and $700 depending on which company does it.

You will be Ordered not to cut or dye your hair until you have undertaken the test.

The testing facility will want to take about 30mm of hair from the root despite only needing approximately 10mm for testing of a 3 month window.
This is their procedure, if your Orders state specifically that the hair must come from you head and your head hair is not long enough they will refuse to do the test and you will be considered to have failed.
So who pays for that? If he requests it can I make him pay for it?

my4daughters21

18 January 2020
Also in the final orders his asking that neither of us to drink alcohol while we have the children... I'm lucky if I have 1-2 glasses of wine in a week but I have never had a problem with alcohol.

I have been checked out by FACS because he made claims to them about me and passed all there visits they could see I'm not on drugs or have a drinking problem...Will this hold any credit with the judge or will just tell me to bad not even one glass of wine when I have the kids?

He doesn't drink so he is just trying to piss me off with the no drinking thing.