NSW Drug Test Dilemma - Methadone Treatment Program?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kanobe

29 May 2015
Hi I'm a tradie and my boss is sending me to do a drug test as we are going to be working for state rail. Now I don't do drugs but did when I was younger but I'm on the methadone treatment program. I will declare this and take my script but I'm worried that they will deny me because they think it's unsafe even though I've worked every day for years like this and generally dose after work. Also if they do deny me my boss will want to know why and I don't want anyone to know I'm on the program because people look at you differently. Can they tell my boss??? Please help

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Kanobe,

Who will be reviewing your test to either approve or deny you for work? Is it upper management?
Your workplace should have a standard policy regarding drug taking and that you can ask about.

Additionally, do you have a medical certificate that states that you are safe to drive trains whilst on the methadone program? If you don't have one, I suggest that you obtain one to bring to your test.

If it is upper management at your workplace that will review your test results, then you can ask them to keep your results confidential. Your immediate manager or supervisor may be able to access your results depending on their position level, however you should be able to speak to management about making sure that your private affairs aren't shared with anyone unless there is a legitimate reason why they need to know them.