QLD Drug Driving - Police Gave Wrong Registration and Details - Traffic Law Defence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

everope

18 October 2015
Hi ,
Was recently stopped for a roadside saliva sample test for drug driving and subsequently failed. On receiving my bench charge sheet and Police Service Notification I noticed they had the wrong Vehicle Registration, wrong address and wrong occupation. Does this constitute a reasonable Defence under Traffic Law?

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
It doesn't make their case look good. You could ask what else they have got wrong.
Ring the issuing authority and tell them you intend to contest and that the details are all incorrect and if they wish to proceed, they will have to get it all right beforehand.

everope

18 October 2015
Thank you Ozwarlock for your response. Am i obliged to disclose that prior to my court Date? As it is not for another three weeks
won't that give them time to rectify their error. Once again thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
If your court date is a mention hearing, you can disclose it then and request they withdraw the matter. It's a bit of a gamble, sadly. Or you can choose to ring and point out their errors. It will come back to the cop who booked you as to how/why he made that mistake.

Again, under these circumstances, you could try and get the matter dismissed.

everope

18 October 2015
Ozwarlock , thanks mate for giving options . I think I will aim to have this dismissed . After all they should show more due dilligance when doing there job. Wasn't like they were under any pressure. There were enough of the standing around with plenty to say while I was giving sample . Should have been focused on filling out paperwork properly rather than mocking me .