NSW Does John Cootes Furniture Need to Honour Online Discount?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

modeltmitch

6 August 2016
I just went into John Cootes Furniture in Taree, and viewed a bedroom suite priced at $999. The exact same package ordered on their website totaled $198 - which I duly paid for online.

This is clearly an incorrect price - now that I have paid. Does the store still have to honour this 80% discount under Australian Consumer Law?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No. Obvious mistakes are not actionable.

modeltmitch

6 August 2016
However - Australian Consumer Law states clearly that once an item is paid for, the seller cannot change the price or ask for more money in the event of an incorrect price....

I quote:
"A seller can’t attempt to correct the error or claw back any money after they have processed your sale and accepted payment, as the transaction (and the contract) is deemed complete at this point."

Aditionally, I saw the (lower) price presented online, and as such, this statement under Australian Consumer Law applies:
"Where a seller advertises an item at the incorrect price or a price that’s lower than the in-store price, it is required under Australian Consumer Law to honour the advertised price until such time as the error has been corrected. "

Information source: Australian Consumer Law Rights – Incorrect Pricing - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm not disagreeing with your statement. You just need to be aware there is an exception for honest mistakes. Supplier does need to give a full refund.

Can't put my finger on the relevant section of the ACL atm.