QLD Australian Consumer Law - Advertised Discount on Retail Shops?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Angel77

5 March 2016
If you wish to purchase a dress and you see it on a rack with an advertised signage discount of 25% off selected stock, under Australian Consumer Law, do you get the dress for 25% off at the register if there is no other discount price on the tag of the dress and only the tag showing the current price?

The sales person refused to give me the discount at the register and said that the particular dress that I found on the rack should not have been on that rack.

S

Sophea

Hi Angel77,

The general position is, that if it was likely a genuine mistake - i.e. the dress being put on the wrong rack (which is common in a dress store) then you are not entitled to purchase the product at the erroneous price. However if it was the store's intention to deceive you into thinking the dress was discounted - thereby engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct, such conduct would be illegal.

I think in this scenario it sounds like the store was not intentionally deceiving consumers by putting non-discounted garments on a discounted rack. They are entitled to sell their products for the prices as marked, and are not required to sell them at a lower price simply because they were misplaced in the store. That would be uncommercial and unfair to retailers.

Check out this article: Australian Consumer Law Rights – Incorrect Pricing - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au