VIC Does DHS Have the Right to Change Court Conditions?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MissSomeone

24 August 2015
I was in childrens court for 6 weeks in regards to a DHS children matter. I was told that everything will stay the same and they will gradually increase unsupervised visitation with the child and the father.

Last week, when I had a conversation with the DHS worker, she pretty much told me that the father can have access with the child whenever he wants and for how long he wants. The father, since the child has been born, has had two hours for two days.

I got a message from the DHS worker that they are going to give him access for 4 hours this week for one day. She also said that since we came out of court, the father has been having unsupervised visits.

I was told when we were in court that DHS will do a plan and notify me of any changes and do assement.

My questions are, does DHS have the authority to change the court conditions without notifying me? Since DHS aren't following the court conditions, can anything be done about?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
My questions are, does DHS have the authority to change the court conditions without notifying me? Since DHS aren't following the court conditions, can anything be done about?

From your post it sounds like they are notifying of the changes. It just seems like you disagree with the changes.

I was told when we were in court that DHS will do a plan and notify me of any changes and do assessment.

To me this reads like the court has enabled DHS to produce a plan and have the ability to make changes to the plan. If this is correct, then DHS are following court orders.

can anything be done about?

Don't know. Is there anything in the court orders about your objections to changes in the parenting plan?

Keep in mind the court and DHS are supposed to be doing what is best for the child, not what is best for you.