WA Do I Have to Visit My Mother Under Family Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Heidee

21 June 2016
I'm 14 and I've recently moved out to live with my nan. My mother is mentally abusive towards me and is unstable. She still wants me to visit. Do I legally have to under Family Law?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, so generally the opinion here is for grown ups, but in my opinion, you have no obligation to visit your mum until a court makes orders that say you have to.

I would suggest you think about your options. What about if you agree for mum to come to your Nan's place for dinner once a week?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
@Heidee, if there are no Court orders for your care arrangements, then there is nothing in the law that forces you to spend time with your mother.

If there are Court orders for your care arrangements, however, the situation might become a little more complex. Do you know if there are any Court orders in place for your care arrangements?

Even though you are living with your nan, your mum still has legal responsibility for you until you turn 18. This means that her consent will be needed for things such as major medical decisions, passport applications and similar.