WA Do I have a case against my mother in law trying to push my to commit suicide?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Houndlove

30 January 2021
I am still very traumatized by what my mother in law and husband did to me in 2016. But mainly by what my mother in law did.
My mother in law was verbally very abusive to me just 1 week after I left the hospital for feeling suicidal for the first time ever.
And she knew that the hospital assessed me and they said that the problem was not depression but domestic abuse from my husband.
My mother in law was also guarantor on our house. And she was aware that our house was in my husband's name.

A couple of days before the abusive incident, she was very nice and spoke sweetly to me over the phone and was acting compassionate.
I trusted her.

She was insisting that I just stay away from the home and stay with my friend like the Hospital recommended. And insisting that I just focus on getting counselling for myself, and stay away from our home for my own recovery.
I thought she was genuinely trying to help

I didn't know that her and my husband had planned and organized an appointment at the mortgage centre to look into putting our home on the market.
And the plan was to let me know afterwards that he had decided he wanted to divorce me. Then my husband can take his time dealing with the credit card debt in my name from him using my credit card.
That was why she was trying to make sure I stayed with my friend.

But 1 week after leaving the hospital, I had to go home to get some more of my things.
My husband got aggressive and verbally abusive.
I had a panic attack.
Then he played the victim and called my mother in law to rescue him.
When she arrived she was very aggressive and full of hate.
I really felt like she was doing a calculated move.
And I just felt deeply shell shocked that she had so much hate towards me.
Enough hate to make a calculated move hoping that the outcome is that I will die.

She really lashed out at me.
Then they quickly left.

I really felt like she did that on purpose. Knowing it was just 1 week since I first felt suicidal.
It felt like she was hoping that after leaving me all alone I might actually commit suicide.
When She was being verbally abusive, she made it clear that she thought I was the problem. Not my husband.
And I guess if I killed myself, that would've solved her problem.

Her tactic worked because as soon as I was alone, I was actually thinking about a plan

I am forever grateful that my friend had to do shopping, and she asked her husband to call and check on me.
I can't even remember what I said, but it alarmed him enough to say I needed to get back to their place and to bring my dogs with me.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Forget about trying to get a case against your MIL..

As you are married but separated, you would almost certainly have rights under family law to a share of assets of the marriage, including the home...

Book an appointment with a family lawyer to go over your circumstances... They will be able to provide you with specific advice & guidance on the best way forward for you .

Houndlove

30 January 2021
Does that mean that I have no case against someone if they try to push me to suicide?
If they had motive to protect their assets, and motive to protect their son from getting in trouble and potentially going to jail again?
And if their past suggests that I am not the first lady they've aggressively targeted as retaliation for their son getting in trouble for being abusive towards that lady in an intimate relationship?
I know the young lady and her family placed a restraining order against my MIL.

I'm not exactly sure of the details of what my MIL did to the previous lady who pressed charges against my husband. It happened many years before I met my husband.
But I do know that the lady and her family placed a restraining order against my MIL and chose to move to the next town.

My concern is that my MIL seems to have escalated her aggressive retaliation towards trying to really increase the chances of the outcome being death of the target.

If I stay silent and do nothing what would happen to the next target?

The previous target to me at least had the guts to say something and place a restraining order. Even if it meant that her and her family were driven out of the country town.

And the consequence of a restraining order didn't seem to help my MIL reflect on her behavior or attitude.
In fact by the time I met my MIL, her attitude was deep resentment towards the young lady and her family.
So my MIL clearly didn't think she'd done anything wrong towards the 'victim'. And therefore the consequence of having a restraining order due to her behavior towards the target didn't teach her that her behavior was wrong.

I honestly don't know if I can move forward with my life if I just stay totally silent about what happened.
Someone put a lot of effort towards trying to intentionally push me to kill myself. And they almost succeeded.

I think my conscience will eat away at me, and wonder what would happen to the next target, if I totally stay silent about it.

Houndlove

30 January 2021
Does that mean that I have no case against someone if they try to push me to suicide?
If they had motive to protect their assets, and motive to protect their son from getting in trouble and potentially going to jail again?
And if their past suggests that I am not the first lady they've aggressively targeted as retaliation for their son getting in trouble for being abusive towards that lady in an intimate relationship?
I know the young lady and her family placed a restraining order against my MIL.

I'm not exactly sure of the details of what my MIL did to the previous lady who pressed charges against my husband. It happened many years before I met my husband.
But I do know that the lady and her family placed a restraining order against my MIL and chose to move to the next town.

My concern is that my MIL seems to have escalated her aggressive retaliation towards trying to really increase the chances of the outcome being death of the target.

If I stay silent and do nothing what would happen to the next target?

The previous target to me at least had the guts to say something and place a restraining order. Even if it meant that her and her family were driven out of the country town.

And the consequence of a restraining order didn't seem to help my MIL reflect on her behavior or attitude.
In fact by the time I met my MIL, her attitude was deep resentment towards the young lady and her family.
So my MIL clearly didn't think she'd done anything wrong towards the 'victim'. And therefore the consequence of having a restraining order due to her behavior towards the target didn't teach her that her behavior was wrong.

I honestly don't know if I can move forward with my life if I just stay totally silent about what happened.
Someone put a lot of effort towards trying to intentionally push me to kill myself. And they almost succeeded.

I think my conscience will eat away at me, and wonder what would happen to the next target, if I totally stay silent about it.

Atticus

6 February 2019
First of all, I didn't suggest you ignore the behavior.

You came here specifically asking if you would have a case. My advice based on a few lines in your post was to concentrate on what matters, ie, the assets they are trying to deprive you of your rightful share of.

To have a 'case' against your MIL for attempting to exert pressure on you to suicide, you first need to have her charged by police... So go to your local police station, report to them what your MIL is doing & ask if she can be charged with what you suggest... Come back here & tell us what they say.

Alternatively, you report her behavior & tell them of your fragile emotional state & how her behavior is tipping you toward the edge.. If they don't suggest (or apply on your behalf) a restraining order, then tell them you want to apply for one yourself & ask them to direct you to assistance to do so.

Then, consider my initial advice, ie, see a family law solicitor about your rights to a share of the marital assets.

Houndlove

30 January 2021
Thank you so much for outlining the next steps I can take for seeking information about whether I have a case about what my MIL has done.

It wouldn't be worth me risking trying to follow through with your initial advice (ie. see a family law solicitor about your rights to a share of the marital assets) if I choose to stay silent about what has happened to me.
That would be opening myself up to possiblity of even worse underhanded dangerous attack than what's already been done to me.

If I choose to stay silent, then I will be choosing to cut my losses, to pack up a few things and relocate altogether.

Atticus

6 February 2019
If it were me, I'd be seeking an order to restrain MIL & I'd be seeing a family law solicitor about filing for division of property.

The idea is that you have the restraining order served on MIL before filing for property... If anything happens contrary to the conditions on the restraining order as a result of filing for property, you report the breach of the restraining order to police .... Breaching a restraining order is a criminal offense. If charged she will finish up in court. If her behavior included attempting to push you to suicide, that will come out in court at that time.