SA Criminal Law - Do I Have a Case Against Abusive Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 July 2016
Wheñ I was 15 I met a guy aged 18 who was controlling and abusing. He convinced me to leave my parents' home and live with him. He kept me locked in the house until my parents helped me get out at 17.

He didn't let me have friends or have contact with my family. He would hit me quite often even when I was sleeping and had done nothing. I fell pregnant with his child at age 16 and gave birth at 17. I left him a few months before I turned 18. I did not want my daughter in this environment.

He took all of what little money I ever had. He starved me and I have proof of my poor health conditions in the hospital but I never called the police when he abused me as I was scared. I feel I have lost what should have been the best years of my life and I still suffer to this day. Anxiety, depression, social issues, etc.

I'm wondering if I can do anything about this under criminal law even though it was 8 years ago now.

Thank you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Look - I think you're better off moving on. You don't want to give him any opportunity to be a part of your life. I'm assuming he doesn't see the child and if you want it to stay that way then forget it and move on.

So with 8 years passing by that could make any case rather difficult. You could go to the police, but once you make a statement they will investigate so worth thinking about before you do anything.