QLD DNA Testing Results - What to Expect?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

unsure

22 May 2018
update still waiting for results as ex only did her part late last week so was expecting results early last week but she hadn't even done her testing yet. the judge ordered the tests to be done in 14 days but she went over that so looks like the court will be adjourned as the results will not be back in time for our next court date.

Have asked about visitation if it comes back negative but my solicitors are not hopeful as she left 6 months ago without consent and I have had limited visitation due to her scheduling, 3 visits in that timeframe and because he is only 2. Not sure if anybody has had any experience with this or any ideas about this - just keeping everything crossed for the tests to be positive. Just do not understand how it is in the best interests of a child to lose the love of a father that loves him so much and has done since he was born.

Reactions: Dean22

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
On what basis is the court adjourning the matter? I'm unclear why a maternity test is needed or her test should delay matters. To me your test is the important test and if so, push to get interim orders in place allowing time with your child.

unsure

22 May 2018
Apparently they need her and bubs testing as well as mine to prove paternity??? the adjournment will be because the results are not in as she only went in and did her part late last week. At court the last time the judge did not even want to look at any orders until the results were in as she wanted to know that she was actually dealing with the mother and actual father of the child.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
OK, a quick read of DNA testing reveals the accuracy of the test goes up when they also have the mother's DNA.

Good she has at least done it now. Extra delay but at least now it's happening.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I hate to say it but you want delays. With such a young child you're gonna get limited time... Is there any chance you can move to be closer to where mum lives?

unsure

22 May 2018
I thought about that when she first moved 14 hrs away but it was financially too hard and without family support it was emotionally hard at the time. Lucky I didnt as she has just moved again at least this time she is only 7 hrs away. I have had 3 visits since she moved 6 months ago one was for 3 weeks then 1 week and then 2.5 weeks these were all when she had something on and it suited her, she had agreed to a 2 week visit the day before she got served with papers and now she is worried about his safety and does not agree to any visits until the court has decided. Just not sure if it comes back negative if that is it - how do you just stop being a dad , considering I was a full time dad until we split and she moved away. It is very hard.

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
Don’t lose hope just yet...the results are not back and even if they are negative, it is impossible to predict what the Court outcome would be, especially at this early stage. The courts have ruled at times in favour of children spending some time with non-biological parents in the past.

unsure

22 May 2018
Results are in not in my favour, court was set for today but lawyers are adjourning it for a couple of weeks to allow time to process. I am shattered.
This ex I am sure will make life so hard and complicated now she has these results not sure if she did this to have the power or to get me out of her life altogether so she can move on with her new partner. very lost atm

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
:(

Yep, very difficult to manage this emotionally. The lawyers have done the correct thing in delaying the trial. You may need another delay.

Call Mensline for help first. They may give a few pointers that can help you through this mess. Then suggest taking a few days off, go away somewhere, sit on a beach and work through the turmoil.

And remember what you are currently feeling is normal and takes time to absorb and process. Do not worry you are a mess now, time will gradually heal you, maybe not fully, but better than the state you are in now. Get your head in a better place and then think about court. Court is a secondary issue ATM and not your first priority.

Reactions: Nonfiction

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
Heart goes out to you mate, I can't imagine how devastated you would be feeling right now... that would break me :(

I really hope you can get something worked out in your favour.

Reactions: Nonfiction