VIC Family Law - Divorcing Father Wishes to be Primary Carer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Hi all,

I mainly have 3 questions to ask and I apologize in advance if the below story is long.

My wife and I are separating. We are both have Australian permanent residency. Our son was born in Australia and is an Australian citizen. He is 2.5 years old. My major concern is who will become our child's primary carer.

My wife and I are renting in a place and my wife will soon move to a new rental place in a different suburb. So I've decided to rent a place in that same suburb but not the same street, that way I can look after my son for at least 50% of the time.

Currently my son is being looked after by wife's parents in overseas. Even though both her and my parents live in the same city, her parents uses all kinds of excuses to stop my parents from seeing their grandson. Wife's mother will take our son back to Australia in Feb or March next year, after wife's settled down. But guaranteed the grandma will take the child directly from the airport to where my wife lives. Guaranteed they will refuse me from spending overnight with my son at my place.

The child has his rights to spend equal time with his parents.

My first question is, if my wife and her mother are not willing to negotiate, is there any way to force them to allow the child to spend half of his time with me?

Ultimately I don't with to become who the child communicate with. I wish to be child's primary carer and who he lives with. The reason is for the best of the Child. I have both the will and capacity, I have always been a responsible father. In contrast, my wife heavily relies on her mother to look after the child. Since our son was born, there' were only 6 months when wife's mother did not live with us. When wife's mother was here, it was me and her mother together to look after our son and her. When my wife's mother was not here, my wife wasn't a quite good to the child as a mother should.

During that 6 month period, at days I was away for work, my wife spent her time at home studying. She did not do much housework during the day and she neglected our son many times. For example, often as soon as I come home from work, I'd found the child being stinky, and he wore a super heavy and dirty nappy, many times I found those nappies were over 10 cm thick, sometimes even with poops. Who knows how many hours my wife had forgotten him.

At nights I did all the housework as well as looked after our son even after he sleeps. Many times I had to carry the child in a baby carrier to do housework while my wife rested on couch and watched TV. In the mean time, wife sometimes got moody. She pushed child to the wall, bitten the then under 1 year old on hands, and yelled at him such as "get away from me!" while I was in presence.

In other occasions my wife also smashed things at home, threatened several times to kill the dog I love very much, refused to talk to me and belittled me. I coped and coped and occasionally l felt that I've had enough and used strong voice object, such as "Enough!" or "Leave me alone", and tried to avoid her mental abuse by staying away from her at different room. My wife would likely use this to claim that I'm the one with domestic violence. Although I have never smashed anything, never physically hit anyone, and never threatened to kill anyone or anything.

When I got upset I wrote e-diaries or sent emails to my father about what my wife did to our son and me, about my frustration. I also took photos of those super heavy nappies, photos of me doing housework while carrying our son, and wife was watching TV, and photos of me doing shopping or playing outside with my son, all without my wife. I also have bank statements to show that I was the one who did everyday grocery shopping, 2 - 3 times a week.

My second and third question is, can the e-diaries, emails and photos be used as evidence to support me to be the primary carer, are they strong enough? When and how should I prepare the legal case if my wife won't negotiate (very likely won't) and we have to let the court to decide who becomes the primary carer?

Thank you very much for your reading.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well your first step will be to book into mediation, its compulsory to do mediation before going to court. The mediators are professionals who you can discuss all your above matters with them.

One thing that remains true, you should continue to keep diaries/records of events.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Well your first step will be to book into mediation, its compulsory to do mediation before going to court. The mediators are professionals who you can discuss all your above matters with them.

One thing that remains true, you should continue to keep diaries/records of events.
Thank you very much for addressing my second question. However, do you know if there’s any way let my son stay with me overnight, when my wife and her mother reject it?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Not without Court orders, there's not.

Word to the wise: go easy on the mum hatred. A sure fire way to sabotage your own case is to be the guy who doesn't support and encourage their kid's relationship with the other parent. That kind of vitriol results in reversal of residency in a lot of cases.

Don't make the incredibly illogical and stupid error of going into Court thinking the best way to show you can act in the best interests of the child, is to unleash on the Court all of your personal, toxic hatred for said child's mum.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Not without Court orders, there's not.

Word to the wise: go easy on the mum hatred. A sure fire way to sabotage your own case is to be the guy who doesn't support and encourage their kid's relationship with the other parent. That kind of vitriol results in reversal of residency in a lot of cases.

Don't make the incredibly illogical and stupid error of going into Court thinking the best way to show you can act in the best interests of the child, is to unleash on the Court all of your personal, toxic hatred for said child's mum.
Thank you for your kind help. I don’t hate my wife. I wish our talk would be peaceful and reasonable. I just want to continue to be a good father, and let my son to be able to spend equal time with both parents. I think the child has the right to stay wherever he wishes to stay without adults putting our own interest in front of his. But serious of other things have made me think that my wife might not think the same way.

My concern is that if wife refuse to let son go staying with me, and delays Meditaion appointment, then the child, given his age, would eventually get use to her living environment, and would less and less willing to sleep in a ‘unfamiliar’ place. And later on the Meditaion professionals or the court might say “well since the child is already living with Mum then Mum should be the career”. Few years later Mum could relocate the child to 50 to 100km away within the same city and she won’t even need my permission.

If this becomes true, then the result would have been a strategic and artificially produced result, and I would have not even gotten a chance to be with my son. Would the court see that kind of behaviour from either parents, as a bad parenting example?

Clancy

6 April 2016
My concern is that if wife refuse to let son go staying with me, and delays Meditaion appointment, then the child, given his age, would eventually get use to her living environment, and would less and less willing to sleep in a ‘unfamiliar’ place. And later on the Meditaion professionals or the court might say “well since the child is already living with Mum then Mum should be the career”. Few years later Mum could relocate the child to 50 to 100km away within the same city and she won’t even need my permission.

Bingo! Your a smart man.

This is exactly how it happened in my case, ex took 3 year old daughter out of maternal home, refused overnight despite great distress to daughter, eventually daughter used to new place, then too scared to sleep here overnight.

Actually I was a fool to wait for mediation, they will be slow, they were for me. You still have to book the mediation though, but don't wait like i did, get a lawyer and seek 'interim orders'

Muxaul

10 October 2017
BINGO! Your a smart man.

this is exactly how it happened in my case, Ex took 3 year old daughter out of maternal home, refused overnight despite great distress to daughter, eventually daughter used to new place, then too scared to sleep here overnight.

Actually i was a fool to wait for mediation, they will be slow, they were for me. You still have to book the mediation though, but don't wait like i did, get a lawyer and seek 'interim orders'
I’m very sorry to know your story. This is totally unfair for you. So what if wife tries to delay the meditations or refuse to go to the ones that I booked?

Clancy

6 April 2016
I’m very sorry to know your story. This is totally unfair for you. So what if wife tries to delay the meditations or refuse to go to the ones that I booked?

It is unfair to me, but far more importantly is that it is unfair to my daughter, she will be affected by all this for the rest of her life and the ex doesn't give a damn.

It is up to the mediators to manage if your ex is delaying etc etc.... but they will consult you if there is any doubt in their minds of the value of continuing mediation and issuing you the 60I certificate.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
It is unfair to me, but far more importantly is that it is unfair to my daughter, she will be affected by all this for the rest of her life and the ex doesn't give a damn.
I couldn’t agree more. I can totally understand how it is like. What a terrible situation. It looks like this situation has not been resolved. Did you try any lawyer for help?

Clancy

6 April 2016
I couldn’t agree more. I can totally understand how it is like. What a terrible situation. It looks like this situation has not been resolved. Did you try any lawyer for help?

Well, i will tell you, i have had 5 separate mediated agreements since 2015 and she broke every one of them shortly after making the agreement.

The last mediated agreement i insisted on having consent orders drawn up so there would be no mind changing afterwards. Mediation team agreed, gave us a lawyer each for free at this meeting. Ran out of time on the day, ok they siad, we will sign the consent orders on the next meeting.... with those words i knew i was screwed, by the next day she changed her mind. Mediators then cancelled further mediation and sent me the 60I certificate. I have to go to court, i have a lawyer, its in motion.