LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Divorce in India - When to Apply for Fiance Visa to Australia?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by tina12345, 17 May 2016.

1. tina12345

tina12345 Member

Hi,

I'm from India. Last year I got a paper marriage in the UK in order to go to Germany on a spouse visa, but for personal reasons, I left my husband and came back to India and applied for divorce from India which I am getting soon.

Now I have fallen madly in love with an Australian. We got engaged. As he is coming back to Australia, I just want to know when I can apply for a visit finance visa. Do I need to declare my old marriage? As I didn't declare it in the UK? What do you suggest?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Hi tina,

I don't see why you would not be able to get a prospective spouse's visa. You can read about the requirements here: Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

I'm not sure whether you are required to declare a previous marriage. It is the sponsor they place limitations on - they cannot sponsor someone under a spouse visa if they have sponsored someone within the last 5 years or have sponsored 2 people for visas before.

3. tina12345

tina12345 Member

Actually, it was just paper marriage back in the UK. We didn't live together actually nor did we declare it in anywhere apart from the German embassy. I don't want to lose my fiancé. He doesn't know that I was previously married. I will apply for a visit visa very soon, but please can you tell, will it be a problem to not declare my earlier marriage?

I am very much worried.

4. tina12345

tina12345 Member

I will be very grateful if you guide me properly.

Please.