QLD Divorce from Australian Marriage While in UK?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
30 March 2015
gold coast
A friend on a tourist visa fell in love with a girl in AU & married her 6 years back. He returned to India as his visa was expiring. When they applied his visa, it was rejected twice. The girl got involved with someone else & went back 2 India and married this person.

My friend is in a limbo. He has tried to get in touch with her by email, but she is not replying. He wants to get divorced and start a new life. How can he get a divorce? HE is presently in UK.

S

Sophea

What is your friend's connection with Australia? Unless he has sufficient connection with Australia he cannot obtain a divorce in Australia. I'm guessing he is not an Australian citizen or resident? Is his ex wife who is now married to someone else Australian? How did his wife re-marry without divorcing first anyway?

Sorry about all the questions.

30 March 2015
gold coast
hi
thanks for a quick response
My friend is an indian citizen.the lady he fell in love with and married was a student here and has gone back to india.She got married again and posted pics on facebook.that is how we came to know.my friend is in real soup.

S

Sophea

Unfortunately I can't give you any information on the laws relating to marriage and divorce in India, and you can only obtain a divorce in Australia if you or your spouse
  • Consider Australia your home and intend to live in Australia indefinitely, or
  • are an Australian citizen by birth, descent or by grant of Australian citizenship, or
  • ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months immediately before filing for divorce.

noahromana

20 February 2024
UK
divorcelawyersandersonsc.com
A friend on a tourist visa fell in love with a girl in AU & married her 6 years back. He returned to India as his visa was expiring. When they applied his visa, it was rejected twice. The girl got involved with someone else & went back 2 India and married this person.

My friend is in a limbo. He has tried to get in touch with her by email, but she is not replying. He wants to get divorced and start a new life. How can he get a divorce? HE is presently in UK.
Your friend, residing in the UK, can begin divorce proceedings. Consulting Divorce Lawyers Anderson SC for guidance on the process and jurisdictional considerations would be essential for navigating this complex situation effectively.

lostinspace

25 November 2023
I imagine you should be able too, I do not know, but start by...

Contacting the family law court, ask them what to do. Then get a solicitor to do all the paperwork etc once you know you can do it.