VIC Dispute with Whitehorse Council Building Order?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zhang

27 August 2014
Whitehorse city council ordered me to recertify some structures made about 50 years ago when there were no sufficient documents to evidence the structures were not allowed.
Is there any way (without going to court) to dismiss their claim?
thanks

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi zhang,

You can contact the Victorian State Ombudsman for further information about your situation. If it is within their jurisdiction, they can lodge a complaint on your behalf and speak with the council. You should contact your local community legal centre, even if you do not wish to pursue legal action, to enquire about the merits of your refusal.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi zhang,

I am not too familiar with the jurisdictions of all the legal centres in Victoria. However, try the Fitzroy Legal Centre as they are quite large. Box Hill Centre should be able to refer you onwards. You can also try other legal centres near your area, they should have jurisdiction to cover nearby suburbs.

How did it go with the State Ombudsman?

zhang

27 August 2014
Thanks Sarah,
I have not contact Ombudsman because the council agreed to have a talk in 1 week time. If fails, I will.
Boxhill legal center only refer someone for 30 min free talk, which they have not give me any contact. Fitzroy Legal Centre does not have any experience in this issue and referred some people who do not have any experience in this issue (what they suggested is just do what I am told by the council)