NSW Dispute with Ex Over School of Son?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AllForHer

23 July 2014
That's good that the Registrar considered it an urgent matter, it improves the likelihood that a school will be decided by the Court at the interim hearing.

I think there's a lot here that goes in your favour. Keep us updated.

Kyl

25 July 2016
Hi.

My Ex has a copy of the documents already for my application in a case. I don't know how he got them because I havn't had him served yet. The court only returned the docs to me today stamped, etc.

Do I have to have him officially served with the documents for an application in a case?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If you're using the Commonwealth Courts portal, they'll have them when you file them, but yes, you do still have to serve them.

Kyl

25 July 2016
If you're using the Commonwealth Courts portal, they'll have them when you file them, but yes, you do still have to serve them.

I looked up serving documents in chapter 7. I understand that for an application in a case I can use General service and basically just mail the documents. Do you think this is correct?

I don't think it comes under special service.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Correct. An application in a case can be served via email if email has been provided by the other party. It's not special service as in the case with an initiating application.

Kyl

25 July 2016
Correct. An application in a case can be served via email if email has been provided by the other party. It's not special service as in the case with an initiating application.
Thanks. This makes the process a bit easier. I read all of chapter 7 and interpreted it that way too.

Kyl

25 July 2016
Hi,

The court ordered that my son be returned to me. My son has to change school and the court also ordered he attend the school I put forward as being midway between both homes.

The other party came out with some stuff from left field, e.g. tried to get an order for my son to remain out of school and do work at home with him until final orders in December are made, the theory being in case the court orders that the father gets 100% care and sole responsibility then there would be no risk of another school change.

ICL was good, said no the child needs to be in school and spend reasonable time with me. Judge ordered this. Hopefully a sign that final orders will continue to reflect this.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
That's great to hear. Dad sounds like he's lacking insight if he just wants to keep the child out of school for four months - six if you include the holidays - on the whimsical idea that he will get sole parental responsibility and 100% care. Mindless.

In any case, keep rising above the drama. You're doing well.