NSW Can Mother Order School to Not Give Son Medication?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James07

13 January 2016
My son has been prescribed Vyvanse for ADHD. His mother concocted a story it gives him nausea and the usual I never consulted the story, even though she cancelled appointments with the paediatrician.

Reports from the school are glowing and supportive. Now the mother refuses to give my son the medication. The school can hand him the daily tablet under Doctor's instructions, which is being prepared now. My question is, can the mother order the school not to hand my son in year 2 the medication?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do you have court orders?

Look school hate getting involved in family law matters - let's face it, their job is teaching kids. They don't wanna get involved in an argument between you and the ex.

Go get a letter from the doctor, be the nice co-operative parent. The mother can 'order the school' but whether or not they choose to follow the instrucitons is another matter, especially if you have a letter from the doctor.

Let us know how you go

James07

13 January 2016
do you have court orders?
Look school hate getting involved in family law matters - lets face it their job is teaching kids. They don't wanna get involved in an argument between you and the ex.

Go get a letter from the doctor - be the nice co-operative parent . The mother can 'order the school' BUT whether or not they choose to follow the instrucitons is another matter - especially if you have a letter from the dr.
let us know how you go
Thanks Sammy, the school is certainly on par with me on this one and even suggested it, but thanks for the reply.