Defamation over info supplied to law enforcement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joanneod

8 May 2020
Some time ago, I wrote 2 letters to the police and another law enforcement agency, and I emailed a copy of both to my ex-boyfriend for him to check if he thought they were ok. I was alerting them about an aunt being mistreated by a cousin. They contained allegations and opinions expressed by myself, my aunt and my ex-boyfriend, but I signed them. The point of them was to try and help and protect my aunt. I wasn't just making malicious statements. Unfortunately, my ex-boyfriend turned on me later, and I believe he sent a copy of one or both of those letters to the cousin. I suspect the cousin will sue for defamation because he is complaining about his reputation being ruined. I'm not sure if he means because the authorities were notified or because my ex-boyfriend was, but nobody else saw the content of those letters. Are any defences available to me?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes, qualified privilege, honest opinion, and truth.

Try not to worry, you will have time to respond to any claims of defamation if and when you are notified.

If your aunt is not on your side, work towards making it so.

Joanneod

8 May 2020

Try not to worry, you will have time to respond to any claims of defamation if and when you are notified.

Thank you. That's reassuring. I do have my aunt on my side already.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I suspect the cousin will sue for defamation because he is complaining about his reputation being ruined.
1. What @Rod said.

2. No, he won't.
Although it's a threat commonly made, I don't know of a case where a complaint to police
made in genuine good faith has ever given rise to defamation.

Next time he makes the threat, reply with

"Well, go on then."