defamation and sexual assault

Discussion in 'Defamation Law Forum' started by unique, 17 March 2019.

1. unique

unique Well-Known Member

A family member has accused another family member of sexually abusing them over a long period of time
    Can the person making accusations be sued for defamations? The person making the accusations is intending to apply for some payment through Victim Services of NSW

2. Rod

Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Yes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. unique

unique Well-Known Member

Even if the accusations are true?

4. Rod

Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

They can sue for defamation, but would lose if the accusations are proven to be true.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    unique likes this.
  5. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

In addition to the defamation issue, if the accusations are found to be false, then this ...
    ... would be all but guaranteed to result in a truck load of trouble including some very serious criminal charges.

unique likes this.
  6. unique

unique Well-Known Member

Thanks Scruff for your reply
    From what I know, to put a claim in to Victim Services, the person has to have a police statement and evidence. That's one of the reasons why I am fairly certain the person is not making up these claims

7. Justice1

Justice1 Well-Known Member

Justice1Member
    I had a 2 week trial late last year I have 2 daughters to two mothers and they both accused me of multiple sexual assaults over the last 3 years, I was found not guilty of any of them worse 3 years of my life though, I was wonder if anyone has any evidence against DHHS I want to get at least 7 people and start a civil class action law suit against them, in my case they allowed the mothers in the same room and asked my daughters leading questions and didnt comply with my subpoena.
    If you know on anyone else in same boat it would be helpful thanks

8. unique

unique Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for what happened to you. The situation in my family is different, in that the allegations are unfortunately true