NSW Defamation - How to Protect Myself and My Children?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lucie Harp

28 January 2016
I have made allegations to police in regards to the sexual assault of a four-year-old child by a family member. As a result, they have started a campaign of character assassination or defamation against me, by means of impersonating to obtain fraudulent medical records and disseminating this information among many others.

They have also falsely accused me of blackmail and are sharing decidedly false information in regards to a recent criminal case against me where no conviction was recorded and no plea entered. As a result, my ex-husband has kidnapped my older children, subjecting them to serious risk of emotional harm. What can I do to protect myself and my children?

S

Sophea

The truth of statement is a defence to an allegation of defamation, therefore, if the defamatory statements are based on true facts relating to your criminal history then there's nothing you can really do about it. However, false medical records etc. and anything really that could make others think less of you may constitute a defamatory statement. I would speak to a lawyer about your options - any legal action would likely start with a cease and desist letter followed by legal proceedings if that were to be ignored.