Dealing directly with other party's lawyer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
If they did file a notice of address for service, I wasn't aware of it and my lawyer didn't pass it on to me. I saw the email exchange and there was no mention of a change in representation. The matter is listed for parenting only as it's fairly complex with accusations of all kinds, but there are outstanding property matters that I don't want to engage my lawyer in due to the escalating costs and the limited chattels we had. I'd like to be able to deal with it myself, self represented ideally, but it sounds from what you've said that I cannot do that? Or can I only not discuss with her lawyer things that are actually listed in court (parenting matters, in my case)?

sammy01

27 September 2015
so you cant talk to her solicitor and vice versa - that is the law - but there is a practical reality, especially when it doesn't relate directly to the case. So your lawyer talking to her about the divorce isn't directly related to asset divison / child access or anything else to do with family law. Different if the ex was talking to your solicitor about stuff directly related to the case