NSW Dealer Dispute transfer of rego issue and subsequent fine.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kathrynosteo

19 August 2020
My niece purchased a car in March NSW and was fined for no registration or insurance. It will cost her $600. at least once the fine comes in. When she purchased the car she transferred it at the RMS NSW into her name within 24hrs. What has happened is that the Car yard somehow managed to transfer the vehicle back into the property of the Car Yard so my niece did not receive the renewal. They also did not let my niece know when they received a renewal notice (which they must have received). They have apologized and admitted guilt, however I don't think it's fair that my niece should have to pay the fine. However, they have said they wouldn't write a letter explaining what had happened to help my niece explain why she was driving as she hadn't received the renewal. She usually receives them by post a month in advance and has plenty of time to renew and has never driven unregistered.

Last edited: