QLD De Facto - Will Consent Orders Stand?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Evi

10 May 2016
We are ready to draw up consent orders in the event of a split with regards to our property (we don't share children). Should we get married, however, will those orders still stand even though they were approved while in a de facto? We just can't afford a binding financial agreement, but I put in a huge amount of money - much more than my partner - and I want to safeguard it.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Only if the agreement explicitly mentions marriage and says it survives getting married. Even then it can be challenged. Chances are you need a well worded document done with legal assistance for it to be semi-binding. This is not something you just throw together yourself.

Evi

10 May 2016
Only if the agreement explicitly mentions marriage and says it survives getting married. Even then it can be challenged. Chances are you need a well worded document done with legal assistance for it to be semi-binding. This is not something you just throw together yourself.
Thank you - I can see that safeguarding what I brought to the relationship requires an investment.