VIC De Facto Facing Potential Legal Action - Are My Assets Safe?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kristen

12 June 2015
Hello, my de facto of 16+ years has a company. There is a chance he may be sued by a company he was working as a subcontractor for (he has since been fired). The house we live in is in my name alone but his former company went guarantor on the mortgage (this company is now defunct).

I am not a director of his current company but I do work as a sub-contractor for the current company.
I am also in the process of sorting out family and other legal matters as there are outstanding tax and superannuation obligations that have not been met & without going into too much detail, it is very likely that our relationship will be dissolved legally.

I am trying to ascertain what debts I may be held responsible for in general & whether I could possibly lose the house if my partner is sued.

I would be grateful for any advice (even in general terms) that you can provide.

Thank you

Amanda E

9 April 2014
What do you mean you'll be dissolving your relationship legally?
A binding financial agreement between you and your de facto to settle property and other financial matters would be wise to protect yourself going forward.

Has his company been sued? You said you're not a director of (or otherwise involved in) his company?