QLD Custody

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Greg0615

21 September 2020
Hi all
Just windering if anyone can steer me in the right direction.
I have not seen my son for 1 year.
My ex partner has dissapeared off the face of the earth no contact from her or my son in that time.
I have went through the mediation process which i was issued a certificate that mediation was not appropriate.
I cannot locate her, i have obviously tried strenuously to get in contact to no avail.
So my questions are as follows
1: how can i locate my son
2. Is the process something i can start without a lawyer? And indeed represent myself?
3. What is the quickest way to get the ball rolling. E.g how do i apply to court for a hearing or a judge to listen to the matter?

I have applied through legal aid and they just keep coming back to me asking for more and more info. So im chasing my tail there and i have rang up free legal advice but they wont give you much untill you pay to speak to a trained lawyer at ridiculous rates.

Any advice would be appreciated no matter how obvious or minor it may seem because i have no idea what to do.
Please not there is a dvo on file against me not naming my son just the ex partner.

GL1001

26 December 2018
You should get a lawyer.

You'll need to seek a recovery order but that first requires that there are parenting orders in place.

So you will need to commence proceedings and ask for time and serve it on the wife. If she still doesnt respond/appear at court, then file the recovery order.

If you have not seen your son for 1 year, expect that you will be required to only have supervised time until after the initial stages of the proceedings.

Greg0615

21 September 2020
You should get a lawyer.

You'll need to seek a recovery order but that first requires that there are parenting orders in place.

So you will need to commence proceedings and ask for time and serve it on the wife. If she still doesnt respond/appear at court, then file the recovery order.

If you have not seen your son for 1 year, expect that you will be required to only have supervised time until after the initial stages of the proceedings.
Thanks so much, awesome advice and appreciated. Cheers