Custody of Children - Get Police to Assist?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

amanda76

9 April 2015
I am writing to find out some info for a friend: his ex is denying him access to his children (custody of children). Every time he arranges time to spend with his kids, she replies the day before stating he can't have them.

I would just like to know: does he get the police and go to her house as she will not let the kids have any contact and this is over the phone?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Unfortunately, state police are powerless to act in family law matters as it's a federal issue, not a state issue. I wouldn't advise doing so, either, as the court doesn't look highly on parents who expose kids to unnecessary police involvements because it can frighten and confuse them.

However, what he can do is follow the proper avenues to secure parenting orders that will give legal enforceability to what times he spends with his kids.

If orders have not already been acquired, the first step is a family dispute resolution conference between your friend and his former spouse. This can be organised through Legal Aid, Relationships Australia and the like, and is a forum for trying to reach agreement about care arrangements without court intervention.

If agreement can't be reached, your friend will receive a s60i certificate which is a mandatory component of an initiating application for parenting orders through the court.

I hope this helps.