VIC Criminal Law - Suspicious of Aunty's Involvement with Great Aunt's Death?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Megan09

19 March 2016
Ok, so this is a strange one.

My great Aunty just passed away she was 91. My Aunty was her carer who wouldn't let any of us go to her house or talk to her, etc. We still saw her every now and then and family gatherings. My Aunty doesn't want my dad to go to her funeral. We found out through a cousin she passed away as my Aunty has hidden from the family, but it's suss that she had a stroke while in the car and my Aunty drove her home instead of the hospital then finally took her to hospital and she died later that night.

My great aunt just moved in with my Aunty 1-2 weeks ago. Is there anything I can do under Criminal Law like tell the police to see how long it took her to get to the hospital? Our whole family feels like she has done this on purpose. My gut feeling is saying something is strange about it.

Please help.

Hope this helps

26 March 2016
Ok, so this is a strange one.

My great Aunty just passed away she was 91. My Aunty was her carer who wouldn't let any of us go to her house or talk to her, etc. We still saw her every now and then and family gatherings. My Aunty doesn't want my dad to go to her funeral. We found out through a cousin she passed away as my Aunty has hidden from the family, but it's suss that she had a stroke while in the car and my Aunty drove her home instead of the hospital then finally took her to hospital and she died later that night.

My great aunt just moved in with my Aunty 1-2 weeks ago. Is there anything I can do under Criminal Law like tell the police to see how long it took her to get to the hospital? Our whole family feels like she has done this on purpose. My gut feeling is saying something is strange about it.

Please help.

Your father can make inquiries at the hospital for reason of death and go to police asking for an inquest to be made into his Auntie's death including an alltopy done on his aunt. Your father can also seek legal advice from the lawyer and assistance in obtaining information pertaining to your Great Aunt's death.

You yourself if over 18 can do the same. At 91 years of age, or any age - a heart attack can be caused by numerous reasons and the difficulties for the majority of people themselves let alone anyone else is knowing the tell tale signs of a stroke.

As the Aunt was the carer of your Great Aunt and stopped family and loved ones including friends of the Great Aunt to visit, this is known as abuse under the HACC, Gov. Age and Disabilities Act, Carers responsibilities, Dept. Of Communities, child Safty and Disabilities, Age Care, Gov. Dept. Of Human services, Human rights, etc.and a report and inquest can and should be made regarding the care, treatment of your Great Aunt by your Aunty.

Unless stated in the Great Aunt's Will that your father can not attend her funeral and he wishes to respect this, your Father can attend the funeral. Many family members, due to in family problems, make statements and demands on others but legally do not have the legal/ lawful authority to keep any person away from a funeral just because ' they say so'.

It's up to your father whether he wishes to disregard your Aunt's request. Unless he has a restraining order or DVO conditions or other court ruling matters that prevents him from attending.