COVID19 and custody schedule with court orders in place

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
My thoughts.... letter to the ex.
Dear nutter (oops) ex.
Happy to go along with the advice from the school. I am not aware of the school instructing parents to keep kids at home.

JadeGoldCoast

7 October 2017
Hi Sammy,

Yes the father will respond saying the above but he's thinking of waiting a couple to days to see if the advice changes. No point upsetting the mother if the school closes anyway.

sammy01

27 September 2015
good thinking... Bring on school closures - Just my professional opinion...

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Sammy, the problem we're facing at the moment is balancing the economics and safety aspects. School closures will pretty much force every parent to stay home and possibly not get paid. If this takes another 6 months to pass, imagine the economic damage that will be done, and with the severely reduced taxation, the inability of the governments to pay for the response. It'll make the 2008 financial crisis look totally inconsequential. Anyway, that's a matter for debate but a bit off topic.

sammy01

27 September 2015
oops, sorry mate. I really was just joking. Probably should learn to use emojis....
Yup this stuff is bloody scary.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I think there will be the usual bun fight among some parents that would have had or already been having visitation issues (using the new 'virus' excuse)...

I think on the whole though, parents will not seek to use this to withhold a kid unreasonably.... The one point to make may be restricting kids visiting grandparents & people in a higher risk group (immuno compromised for eg).... That would actually be in keeping with the recommendations of the chief medical officers & government announcements, AND, is for the safety of the adults, not the kids, so in that regard one would hope that the affected adult would understand the benefit of temporary restrictions & that HOPEFULLY, the 'custodial' parent may afford them more electronic communication...

miguel

30 May 2018
I think there will be the usual bun fight among some parents that would have had or already been having visitation issues (using the new 'virus' excuse)...

I think on the whole though, parents will not seek to use this to withhold a kid unreasonably.... The one point to make may be restricting kids visiting grandparents & people in a higher risk group (immuno compromised for eg).... That would actually be in keeping with the recommendations of the chief medical officers & government announcements, AND, is for the safety of the adults, not the kids, so in that regard one would hope that the affected adult would understand the benefit of temporary restrictions & that HOPEFULLY, the 'custodial' parent may afford them more electronic communication...

Nup, they are already doing it.

Atticus

6 February 2019
As a point of interest on this topic....

NZ as of last night has gone into level 4 lock down. Even so, it has been confirmed over there that any current family court orders (that would include interim orders) regarding lives with & visitation dates & times are to continue to be observed, WITHIN a community..... Meaning that if the child is to move between residences within a city, all good, but NOT if the order requires the child to move to another city...

If total lock down occur here, I suspect they will mirror NZ or similar.... Also the FCCoA ( in SA at least) has suspended all hearings that have been set till some time in June I believe...

Below is a media release from the FC & FCCoA (as of the 26/3) regarding Covid-19 & parenting orders

Media Release - Statement from the Hon Will Alstergren - Parenting Orders and COVID-19 - Federal Circuit Court of Australia

Reactions: Been2Trial

miguel

30 May 2018
As a point of interest on this topic....

NZ as of last night has gone into level 4 lock down. Even so, it has been confirmed over there that any current family court orders (that would include interim orders) regarding lives with & visitation dates & times are to continue to be observed, WITHIN a community..... Meaning that if the child is to move between residences within a city, all good, but NOT if the order requires the child to move to another city...

If total lock down occur here, I suspect they will mirror NZ or similar.... Also the FCCoA ( in SA at least) has suspended all hearings that have been set till some time in June I believe...

Below is a media release from the FC & FCCoA (as of the 26/3) regarding Covid-19 & parenting orders

Media Release - Statement from the Hon Will Alstergren - Parenting Orders and COVID-19 - Federal Circuit Court of Australia

That is the best news I've received for some time. Excellent, sensible!

Reactions: Been2Trial