Contesting a Will - Estate Issues for a Named Beneficiary?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Post hoc ergo propter hoc, genius. There was no comment for days before I posted that.

I take it you're offended by the term "ambulance chaser."
Not especially.

haiqu also said:
While I can see the need for such financial arrangements in cases where someone is genuinely wronged, they are far more often abused by scoundrels on both sides. The law industry is indefensible, and estate laws are nuts.
I don't do contingent fee work myself, but I recognise that contingent fees are a necessary aspect of access to justice.
I certainly disagree with your assertion of their widespread abuse.

I'm sure others here will continue to try and help you.
I'm afraid however, that from here on, I cannot.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Right. So my only option would have been to represent myself, a difficult task given the circumstances.

I've seen the inside of a few court cases, as a witness. The outcome on average seems to have been fairly random, to the extent that I have little faith in the system.

In regard to your earlier comment about the claimant maybe even having to bear court costs, I'm not that green. The costs will almost always be awarded from the estate even if the claimant wins a pittance, since that's where the money is.

That's great, sound like you've got it sorted.
I'm sure it will all work out for you then.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Oh my, what a picture.

Two burning bridges.... and a thirsty horse.

haiqu

12 June 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

haiqu

12 June 2014
That's great, sound like you've got it sorted.
I'm sure it will all work out for you then.

Given that the case is costing the estate $50k a year and that there's no end in sight, I'm not so positive about it. But I thank you for your input, it confirms a few things for me.