NSW Wills and Estates, Beneficiary

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

franklyspeaking

24 October 2015
Friend has been bequeathed in late fathers Will the residual of his Estate which is around $100,000 but we do not know that as the solicitors will not give any indication of how the proceeds of the assets have been divided up.

Meaning, the solicitor is asking to have a document signed so they can distribute to my friend but will not give a set of accounts or anything to indicate what it comprises.

Question: Is my friend who is not an Executor and nor is the solicitor an Executor, entitled to see the accounts of the Estate.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is my friend who is not an Executor and nor is the solicitor an Executor, entitled to see the accounts of the Estate.

Yes.

Friend should be asking the executor for the accounts of the estate.

And what is the document the solicitor wants signed?

Reactions: amay

franklyspeaking

24 October 2015
Yes.

Friend should be asking the executor for the accounts of the estate.

And what is the document the solicitor wants signed?

Thanks for your reply. The document the solicitor wants signed is just bank account details to send the residual to. They said they would soon be in a position to distribute. They said until it is signed they cannot distribute. They also said to ask the executors for accounts and they (the Solicitors) have not been given any instructions to give accounts of the estate.

The issue is: Can the beneficiary of the residual request accounts or not? She is going to ask the executors however there is discord within the family and it might be refused. All she is asking is to be satisfied that she is being given her bequeathed share and simply wants something by way of a document or documents to be satisfied that what she is being given is correct. She feels it is an insult to be given money without some idea of what the total estate is worth.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree. She should tell the executor to give her a copy of the will and the accounts.

Reactions: amay