VIC AVIS Car Rental Charging Ten Times More Than Original Price?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cecilia109

20 October 2016
Hi everyone,

Got an issue with AVIS where they charged me about 10 time of the price for renting a car. We called their customer services for two weeks and emailed them several times, but they just keep transferring my calls to each other and do not answer my questions directly. I'm thinking of emailing them again with law articles so they treat this issue seriously. Can you guys help?

So here's the whole story.

My boyfriend and I rented a car from AVIS about three weeks ago for three days, which should have cost, let's say $200 (here round the amount to integer easy for calculation). Then when we returned the car, they issued a tax invoice of $2000 in total to charge from my credit card. On this invoice, we can see detailed service for $200 (car rental fee, petrol, admin fee, etc.), but they didn't even mention what the other $1800 on the invoice was for.

But because we were catching a flight at that moment, we didn't check the invoice carefully so didn't notice the wrong amount. Then after a few days after we got back from our trip, we began to clean the receipts and pay slips then we found this mistake. We both reckon this extra charge is just due to a typo (maybe they pressed one more zero on EFTPOS machine) so we called AVIS immediately.

They transferred my call several times but no one seems to know what this $1800 was for (which can definitely prove this charge is wrong or they would have details on record). They advised they need to check further about what was happening and asked me to wait callback, then comes the most wonderful thing.

They emailed me another invoice the next day say actually this is the official tax invoice. And on this new invoice they put this $1800 under misc charge. But when I called again querying what this misc charge was for, their staff have different opinions. The customer service told me it's for car damage, when I asked them to email me the car damage report, they promised but then no response.

Another operating manager insists it's for car towing, which we never asked for! After several days calling to resolve the issue, we became so sick about the whole thing so we told the operating manager if we still can not get a proper response we'll lodge the case with VCAT for help. This "threat" actually made him efficient for like two seconds, he promised he'll talk to the finance team to refund us, but when I ask him to email me the exact amount and how long it takes to process the refund (to keep records and evidence), no response again.

I think they did breach the Australia Consumer Law more than one time in this case but I'm not too sure about the details. Can you guys list the related law articles so I can organise my statement? I'm planning to email the operating manager the last time and if he still ignores me, I'll go for VCAT for real.

Heaps thanks for reading.

Lance

31 October 2015
You should formally contact them in writing requesting they respond in a given time frame. You would then follow this up with a letter of demand. If they fail to respond to the letter of demand you would need to consider if it is worthwhile proceeding to the Magistrates Court.

Cecilia109

20 October 2016
You should formally contact them in writing requesting they respond in a given time frame. You would then follow this up with a letter of demand. If they fail to respond to the letter of demand you would need to consider if it is worthwhile proceeding to the Magistrates Court.
Hi Lance,
Proceeding to the court is going a bit far at the moment, but I will definitely form a letter of demand.

Thanks for the information, it's really a great suggestion!