QLD Disputed Accountant Invoice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

richards33

11 November 2020
Hi,

So I approached my accountant who I have used the previous 2 financial years and both times was charged $330 to lodge my tax returns and associated GST for my sole trader business.

I gave them all the basic details I thought they would need, expecting questions back about other deduction possibilities and COVID related rebates etc. The first I heard back from them was when they sent me an invoice for $770 and no details of my return and what deductions they had worked out.

I questioned why the invoice was over twice the amount of the previous years and was told that this was still well below the going rate, they said the going rate was $1100 for this service and that previous years I had been getting a discount. I then decided to get a few quotes to check this and none of them were even close to this, so I proceeded with another accountant (who charged me $190 for this service!)

I received an email today stating that this amount was still due, to which replied that I had decided not to go with their services given the huge increase in fees that I was not notified of. They have now said that this is still due as the work was carried out. I have stated that I will not be paying it for the above reasons and now they are saying this will go to a debt collection agency.

They never lodged the tax return and I never actually saw any proof of the return having been completed other than a one page Electronic Lodgement Declaration Form that required my signature. It had zero details about my return and I assume also by me signing that form it would mean I was legally agreeing that all of the information on it was correct, even though I could not attest to that being unable to see it.

My question is, do I have a leg to stand on legally. I feel like my fee was just put up because I was seen as a customer who wouldn't question it and this was deceitful.

Thanks for your time

S

richards33

11 November 2020
I don't know if the attached communications help my case. All comms were by email and are attached

Attachments

• Tax Communication 1.pdf
    476.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Tax Communication 2.pdf
    577 KB · Views: 0