Concerns with buying a boat

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

businessjett

12 October 2023
Hello,

I had an offer of $190k accepted on buying a boat subject to me paying a 10% deposit and me having 4 weeks to have various tests done.

The broker sent me the sales contract to sign. which was extremely basic and not correct.

• ASIC shows his business name has been cancelled.
  • ABN shows he is a sole trader
  • His bank account is not a trust account.
  • HIN is wrong so I am unable to check if finance is owed
He has said I am unable to get any mechanical checks or boat surveys completed until I pay him the 10% . Considering the above I don't want to pay him any money and instead, if the purchase proceeds, give him 2 bank cheques. One to the seller and one to the broker for his fee.

I want to buy the boat but I also don't want to upset him. I did mention to him he bank account is not a trust account and his explanation was, in the past he had staff steal money from his trust account. This is not logical because they could do the same with his personal y account too.

Any constructive advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Thankyou

zaffin

9 October 2023
businessjett, I got this from AI for Law, Contracts & Legal AI in Australia

"
Based on your description, there are several points to consider.

Firstly, under general contract law principles, all parties need to enter contracts freely and fully aware of the terms. A contract should accurately reflect the agreement between the parties. If the contract the broker provided does not do so, it is important that this contract be rectified to reflect your agreement accurately. The broker stands as a representative of the seller, and thus, should operate professionally.

The inconsistencies you've identified, such as ASIC's deregistration of the broker's business name and the incorrect ABN details, raise legitimate concerns. Companies in Australia are generally registered under the Corporations Act 2001. If the company name has been deregistered, this may be an indicator of insolvency or non-compliance with the Act's regulations. Moreover, every business operating in Australia is usually required to have an ABN.

The broker's reluctance to allow boat surveys or mechanical checks until the payment of the deposit also contradicts standard practice in property purchases, and seemingly the general consumer protection provided under Australian Consumer Law.

Furthermore, the broker's failure to hold funds in a trust account is a concern. Professional agents are typically required to hold clients' money in trust accounts for protection. Not doing so may breach fiduciary duties and may infringe legislation, such as the Property, Stock, and Business Agents Act 2002 (NSW), if the broker is based in New South Wales for instance. His explanation seems unfitting since trust accounts are designed for client protection and are typically subject to rigorous legal oversight.

Given these circumstances, your proposed solution to directly pay the seller and broker via bank cheques seems more secure. In a transaction of a significant magnitude, it's generally imperative to assess counterparty risk carefully and ensure that all procedures adhere to appropriate legal standards and commercial practices.

Additionally, you may want to validate the details of the HIN to ensure that no outstanding finance is owed on the boat, as per your legal rights under the Personal Property Securities Act 2009.

In conclusion, it may be beneficial to seek independent legal advice to ensure that your interests are protected throughout this process. There's legislation in place designed to ensure transactions like these occur fairly and securely. Your situation involves issues dealing with consumer protection laws, contractual laws, corporations laws, and possibly marine and property law, all of which may have different relevant Acts, cases, or disputes based on the exact details of your situation."